Poetry and Truth - the complexity of the 'New Old Town' and 'Old Sachsenhausen'
A tour for locals and visitors who want to see behind the framework of the Römerberg and Old Sachsenhausen.
The Frankfurt "Old Town" is to be regarded as a kind of architectural museum. In the nucleus of the city building examples of many styles can be found. The new »exhibit« is a piece of half-timbered old town. Opposite is Alt Sachsenhausen, where there is still a lot of original building substance, but some of which was little maintained and which one now takes again.
Until the Second World War, Frankfurt's Old Town was one of the largest undestroyed half-timbered towns in Germany. When wistfully looking back, however, one overlooks gladly that the building fabric of the old town was very dilapidated and the living conditions were more than bad. After the war, they opted for a loose contemporary housing development and only to rebuild some significant historically significant buildings. However, over the decades it has remained difficult with the design of the 'Gudd Stubb' - the area between the 'Römer' (town hall) and the cathedral. Now the new old town has been built there or, let us say, the construction of a new district with a high memory of the previously existing buildings. The district was opened in September 2018. Only at the beginning, however, is the repair of the old building in Alt Sachsenhausen on the other bank of the Main. The buildings of a residential and office building designed by architect Marie-Theres Deutsch and 'Der kleine Ritter' (the little knight) and 'Libertine Lindenberg' by Franken Architekten, which emerged at the beginning of the 2000s, seem to point the way to a symbiosis of old and new.
New old town
- historical Museum [LRO Lederer Ragnarsdóttir Oei]
- Architect houses in the Saalgasse [different architects]
- Kunsthalle Schirn (Bangert Jansen Scholz and Schultes)
- 'Stadthaus' [MEURER architects with cba architectes, Luxembourg]
- Museum of Modern Art [Hans Hollein]
- Houses in the old town (various architects)
- New portico - Exhibition Hall for Contemporary Art (Christoph Mäckler Architekten)
- Apartment building Paradiesgasse 13 [Marie-Theres Deutsch Architects]
- 'Kleiner Ritter' (little knight), Libertine Lindenberg [Franken architects