A weekend getaway for architecture lovers who appreciate wine or wine lovers who are interested in architecture.
Excellent wines from Franconia - you will try them in the course of 2-3 wine tastings in which winemakers present their products and the wine region to you. Any more of it? On request, we also offer a complementary wine seminar.
Outstanding architecture in Franconia - you will see. This is another reason to set out on the Main between Würzburg and Volkach. There are both a large number of artistically remarkable wine shops and, surprisingly for a rural area, a number of excellent modern buildings. In many cases, as in the case of the vinotheques, old walls are combined with new elements to create an exciting whole.
The charming hilly vineyard landscape along the Main should not be forgotten in a description of the area. Embedded in it are villages and small towns with a lot of historically interesting buildings. In order to be able to see and enjoy all this from a distance, enriched with information, viewpoints designed by architects have been created in the vineyards under the title 'terroir f'.
Not too much landscape, would you prefer more urbanity, but still wide views? Then we offer a visit to Würzburg with some modern projects that are worth seeing and visiting. Historic buildings can of course be included and a visit to impressive vinotheques is definitely not forgotten. For overnight stays, we recommend two traditional hotels there, each with modern wings.
In a nutshell: whether on the Mainschleife or in Würzburg - it will be an excursion for all the senses!
The tour is primarily designed for 3 days, Thursday-Saturday or Friday-Sunday. The event begins in the afternoon of the first day with a tour, followed by an initial wine tasting and dinner. A bus ride follows on the second day. In the selected buildings, guided tours by the architects or users can be requested. The physical well-being in between is of course thought of and in the afternoon there is again a wine tasting and later a dinner. On the third day, the basic program ends with breakfast. Afterwards there is the possibility of individual visits, but a joint visit to a city can also be connected. In general, the tour can be extended by one day. Duration: 3 days, optionally 4 days
- Duration: 3 days, optionally 4 days
- Getting around: by (rented) bus
- Services: an experienced architect as a guide, guided tour in buildings by the architect or user on request, hotel accommodation, welcome at the hotel / meeting point, lunch and 2 x dinner, coffee, transfer (bus) and wine tasting.
- Languages: German, English, Dutch
- Group size: 12-20 people
- Non-binding budget: 3 day tour from approx. 700, - pp for 12 people, from approx. 620, - for 15 people, based on double rooms
- Not included: arrival
With this variant, overnight stays are in Volkach or Sommerach and possible architectural sightseeing destinations are still in Dettelbach or Iphofen. A bus transfer from and to Würzburg or Kitzingen is possible for rail travelers.
Here we stay in selected hotels in the center or above a vineyard. Architectural sightseeing destinations are primarily in the city, but of course a trip to the surrounding area can also be undertaken. A transfer from the train station to the hotel is also possible in Würzburg.
All this information only gives a rough overview. We would be happy to provide you with further information on the range of possibilities and put together a suitable program based on your wishes - also in combination with the possibilities in Würzburg, Volkach, Sommerach and Iphofen.
We offer the 'Architecture + Wine Tour Franconia' in cooperation with guiding architects munich on.
Project selection 'Mainschleife' - modern architecture
- Museum 'Barockscheune' Volkach (Jäcklein Architects, Volkach)
- Revitalization Gasthaus Stern Kürnach (Jäcklein Architects, Volkach)
- KuK culture and communication center Dettelbach (Käppel & Klieber Free architects, Stuttgart with archicult, Würzburg)
- Service center Iphofen (Walter Böhm Architects, Iphofen and Jäcklein Architects, Volkach)
- Knauf Museum Iphofen (Walter Böhm Architects, Iphofen)
- in future: Development of Mainquartier Volkach - competition 2021 - winning design by H2M architects
Project selection Würzburg
- Urban development and landscape planning 'Hubland' (framework planning - tobestadt, Frankfurt a. M; State Garden Show - Hutterreimann + Cejka Landscape architects)
- Hubland start-up laboratory - Cube (Hen Schönau, Frankfurt a / M) and Tower (Hofmann Keicher Ring, Würzburg)
- 'Kulturspreicher' building for multiple cultural events (Brückner + Brückner, Würzburg)
- Fraunhofer Institute Technikum III (Zaha Hadid, London)
- Conference center Burkhardushaus (Episcopal Building Authority Würzburg)
- Conversion of Bürgerbräu (Archicult, Würzburg)
'Mainschleife' project selection - historical architecture
- Maria im Weingarten (15th century) with Madonna in the Rosary by Tilman Riemenschneider
- Trinity Church (18th century) by Balthasar Neumann
- Münsterschwarzach Abbey Church (1938) by Albert Boßlet
- St Augustine (15th century) Dettelbach, renovated in 2011 by Walter Böhm Architects
- St Michael (1987) Schwanberg by Alexander Freiherr von Branca