Architecture and viticulture
A tour for lovers of architecture and wine. Enjoy the cultural landscape of Rheinhessen - we will guide you to the architectural highlights of the Rhineland-Palatinate capital Mainz. The program is rounded off by a visit to qualitatively outstanding vinotheques, wine bars with various wine tastings in Mainz and the surrounding area.
We offer you the opportunity to choose the subject of the tour as well as individual objects from the list of subjects below. Discover post-war Mainz, with Arne Jacobsen's town hall as the centerpiece, and learn more about the city's latest urban development projects such as the Manuel Herz synagogue or the expansion of the customs port area with the art gallery as a cultural attraction. Or would you like to find out more about the power and splendor of historic Mainz, which as an archbishopric and imperial city, especially in the sacred architecture of the Middle Ages and early modern times, has prominent contemporary witnesses?
Tour start at the hotel / train station, greeting and getting to know each other.
The first destination could be “Das Alte” Mainz with its cathedral, St. Stephan, St. Johannis and a walk through the old town. Depending on the time of day with a visit to a wine bar that is over 100 years old. (e.g. Restaurant 'Beichtstuhl')
Then continue with contemporary architecture, such as the Mainz customs port. A former port area, now used for offices and luxurious apartments, some of which have jetties in front of the door. The landmark is the "Art Museum with Leaning Tower" in a striking, patinated green.
The tour could continue with the highlights of the post-war architecture. A highlight here is the Mainz town hall by Arne Jacobsen and the viewing terrace from the Kupferberg sparkling wine cellar with wine bunker and various other buildings.
- duration: 4 hours guided tour and 4 hours wine tasting with transfer.
- Getting Around: on foot
- Services: Experienced architect as a guide, greeting at the hotel / meeting point, reservations for food or coffee, transfer and wine tasting.
- Languages: German, English, Italian
- Group size: Max. 20 pax
- Price:1600,- Euro + 19 % VAT
- Not included: Consumption, travel expenses except transfer to the winery, possible entrance fees
- Kunsthalle (Zamp Kelp Neo Studio)
- 'Zollhafen' Customs port area
- Wine bunker Kupferberg
- synagogue (Manuel Herz)
- Market houses (Massimiliano Fuksas)
- Town hall (Arne Jacobsen + Otto Weitling)
- Gutenberg Museum (Rainer Schell)
- Karstadt area and pavilions on Ludwigsstrasse
- Altmünstercenter Münsterplatz
- 'Allianz' House
- St. Stefan - Windows by Marc Chagall
- Cathedral of Saint Peter and Paul
- St. Johannis (Old Cathedral)
Selection of wine bars in Mainz