A weekend trip for architecture lovers who love wine or wine lovers who love architecture.
Excellent wines from Franconia - you will try them in the course of 2-3 wine tastings in which winemakers present their products and the wine region to you. Any more of it? On request, we also offer a complementary wine seminar.
Outstanding architecture in Franconia - you will see. This is another reason to set out on the Main between Würzburg and Volkach. There are both a large number of artistically remarkable wine shops and, surprisingly for a rural area, a number of excellent modern buildings. In many cases, as in the case of the vinotheques, old walls are combined with new elements to create an exciting whole.
The charming hilly vineyard landscape along the Main should not be forgotten in a description of the area. Villages and small towns with many historically interesting buildings are embedded in it. In order to be able to see and enjoy all this from a distance, enriched with information, lookout points designed by architects were created in the vineyards under the title 'terroir f'.
In short: an excursion for all the senses!
The tour is primarily designed for 3 days, Thursday - Saturday or Friday - Sunday. You will spend the night in Volkach or Sommerach. The event begins in the afternoon of the first day with a tour, followed by an initial wine tasting and dinner. A bus ride follows on the second day. Possible sightseeing destinations are among others in Dettelbach or Iphofen. In the selected buildings, guided tours by the architects or users can be requested. Of course, we will think about your physical well-being in between and there will be another wine tasting in the afternoon. On the third day, the basic program ends with breakfast. Afterwards there is the possibility of individual visits, but a joint visit to e.g. Würzburg can also be added. In general, the tour can be extended by one day. A bus transfer from and to Würzburg or Kitzingen is possible for rail travelers.
- Duration: 3 days, optionally 4 days
- Getting around: by (rented) bus
- Services: experienced architect as guide, on request guided tour in buildings by architect or user, hotel accommodation, greeting at the hotel / meeting point, lunch and 2 x dinner, coffee, transfer (bus) and wine tasting.
- Languages: German, English, Dutch
- Group size: 12-20 people
- Non-binding budget: 3 day tour from approx. 700, - pp for 12 people, from approx. 620, - for 15 people, based on double rooms
- Not included: arrival
All this information only gives a rough overview. We would be happy to provide you with further information on the range of options and put together a suitable program based on your wishes.
We offer the 'Architecture + Wine Tour Franconia' in cooperation with guiding architects munich on.
In summer 2021 you will find an offer for an architecture + wine tour in Würzburg and the surrounding area.
- museum 'Barockscheune' Volkach (Jäcklein Architects, Volkach)
- Revitalization Gasthaus Stern Kürnach (Jäcklein Architects, Volkach)
- KuK culture and communication center Dettelbach (Käppel & Klieber Free architects, Stuttgart with archicult, Würzburg)
- Service center Iphofen (Walter Böhm Architects, Iphofen and Jäcklein Architects, Volkach)
- Knauf Museum Iphofen (Walter Böhm Architects, Iphofen)
- Maria im Weingarten (15th century) with Madonna in the Rosary by Tilman Riemenschneider
- Trinity Church (18th century) by Balthasar Neumann
- Münsterschwarzach Abbey Church (1938) by Albert Boßlet
- St Augustine (15th century) Dettelbach, renovated in 2011 by Walter Böhm Architects
- St Michael (1987) Schwanberg by Alexander Freiherr von Branca