Westhafen, Museumsufer, Römerberg, Financial District
Money + Art, Banks + Museums
A tour proposal for first-time visitors from Frankfurt and at the same time an introduction to the facets of modern architecture
In Frankfurt, money is earned and spent on culture and the arts. The tour is a journey through the history of Frankfurt and shows places of money making and art show. It ends on the roof of a bank.
The first destination is the Westhafen: a former port area, newly used for offices and luxury apartments, with boat launchers in front of the door. The 'West Harbor Tower' with its triangular glass facade has become the landmark of the area.
On the Museumsufer, museums built in the eighties provide an overview of the architectural trends of the time. Recently added, already praised, is the subterranean extension of the Städel Art Museum, opened in 2013.
In front of the museums, there is also a magnificent panorama of skyscrapers on the northern bank of the Main.
The tour continues on the Römerberg, the historic center of Frankfurt, which also offers a wide range of old and modern architecture. You can form your own opinion of the much talked about, criticized and praised new 'New Old Town'.
The tour ends on the observation deck of the MainTower. At 200 m altitude, in the midst of the skyscrapers of the bank center offers a wonderful view of Frankfurt and its surroundings. 127
- Westhafentower, Westhafenpier (schneider + schumacher architekten)
- Port Duo (Otto Steidle & Partner)
- Marina Residence at the Westhafen (Christoph Mäckler Architekten)
- Städel (Oskar Sommer and last schneider + schumacher architekten)
- Museum of Communication (Behnisch & Partner)
- Architecture Museum (Oswald Mathias Ungers)
- Filmmuseum (Bofinger & Partner, Renovation Blocher Partners)
- Museum of Applied Arts (Richard Meier)
- Romans - Town Hall
- Historical Museum (LRO Lederer Ragnarsdottir Oei)
- Schirn complex (Bangert, Jansen, Scholz and Schultes)
- New old town
- Townhouse (Meurer architects with cba Luxembourg)
- Paul Church
- MainTower and much more (Schweger & Parnter)